Friday, May 1, 2015

Scary riding

Today’s mileage: 62
Cumulative elevation gain: 1026 ft.
Weather: Sunny and 70, headwind
Attitude: A bit rattled from traffic

Half of today’s ride was a pleasant ramble down rural roads, past more longleaf pine plantations, cattle farms, little churches and such. I’m not sure what the other half looked like as I was too busy watching semis in my rearview mirror, trying to judge whether they could or would move over enough to keep from blowing me off the 6-inch tightrope of shoulder between the rumble strip and the edge of the pavement. I do not do not do NOT like this type of riding! Several times, when there were semis coming from both directions, I had to just pull off into the grass. One of our riders hit the rumble strip early this morning, that type of rumble strip that’s about an inch deep, tumbled off into the grass, and had to be taken in for medical attention. Thankfully she is OK, just sore.

Still, you certainly could not beat the weather today, sunshine and 70's.  I'm surprised at how cool it has been. The past couple of days most of us have donned long sleeves or even jackets until afternoon.


Tonight we’re at the top-rated hotel (of two) in Glennville, GA, population 5,173. It’s quite a bit better than the ashtray a couple of nights ago but still nothing to write home about. My room only smells a little bit, but there are cigarette holes in the sheets and burns on the edge of the bathtub. 

Nothing terribly picture worthy today. This area is still very reminiscent of Michigan for me. I tried to get a picture of a friendly dog who came out to visit us but she just wouldn't pose.

Tomorrow on to Statesboro. It's our first day of less than 50 miles, so I'm hoping to have time to explore a bit. It's a college down with a population of almost 30,000. Perhaps I can even find a whistle!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vickie,

Stay safe on that skimpy shoulder. Hopefully the road conditions will improve for tomorrow's ride. I'll see you in Alexandria! Christine

Nancy said...

I would not be having fun on this day !! That near-shoulderless road, deep rumble strips and semis barreling down from front and rear would have me looking for the van! I would then be wondering why I spent good money to be scared out of my mind and hating being on a bicycle!!!

So glad that you got through it unscathed. Sorry it isn't a more luxurious hotel after such a harrowingday.
Be safe and smart,
Nancy