Tuesday, May 19, 2015

I Am A Grouch

Today's mileage:34
Cumulative elevation gain: 1500 feet
Weather: 90 and sunny
Attitude: Piss poor

I woke up very tired and grouchy this morning. First, the hotel alarm clock did not go off, so I was late to breakfast. Then, I'm so tired of the same hotel breakfast everyday anyway.... bland scrambled eggs, small disk of sausage, bread with a butter-like substance, bad coffee (unusually, agressively bad this morning even for a hotel). I was planning a relaxed start to my day by riding in the van for 20 miles or so, but van had to make a Costco run so I had to ride in the SAG vehicle instead, which leaves at least a half hour earlier. So the unanticipated rush just made me grouchier, and even a stop at Starbucks didn't help all that much. To add to the joy my stomach was complaining, so I ended up riding in the SAG for 40 miles out of the 74 mile day.

Once I got on the bike, things improved, of course, as they always do. More pleasant winding hilly roads through woods and fields, and some real, Whidbey-esque hills. We are in horse country now. At one of our SAG stops, three young dark beauties came up to say hi, and then kicked up their heels running back across the pasture.

It was nice to have an easy, relaxing 34 mile afternoon ride. All but the last couple of miles anyway, when my grouchiness returned. Another VERY busy 4 lane highway with NO shoulder. I thought: I am NOT riding this. Seeing a sidewalk across the street, I managed to get over there without getting killed. But then of course the sidewalk ended just around the next curve, leaving me with about a foot wide strip of grass to walk on. But what do I see in the distance? (cue the Hallelujah Chorus here) Starbucks! A grande frappucino improved my mood enough to get me to the hotel.

Most of the hotels we've stayed at have had swimming pools, but very few have been open or even had water in them. But today, I pull in, and there is an inviting, clean, fresh, cool looking pool, it's 90 and sunny, I'm hot and sweaty. Is there a closed sign on it? No, there is not! I go to my room, take a shower, put on my bathing suit, go to the pool, can't get the gate open. I call the desk. The pool is NOT open. Grouchiness returns. I may have been a bit short with the clerk, suggesting that they put a sign up so their guests do not go to the trouble of changing into bathing suits only to have their hopes dashed.

Oh well, Got my laundry done, bleach-cleaned my water bottle and camelbak, and it's still an hour until dinner time. I believe I'll have a beer. Sorry for the rant. Tomorrow will be better.

No comments: