Friday, May 22, 2015

Through Washington DC and on into the Maryland Hills

Today's Mileage: 70
Cumulative Elevation Gain: 4120 feet
Weather: Cool and sunny, perfect biking weather
Attitude: Exhausted but happy

In fact, I was too exhausted to even pick up my laptop so I am writing this a day late. When I got in last night, I rinsed out my bike clothes, as usual, and rolled them up in a towel to wring out, as usual, and.,..... well, they were still that way this morning, rolled up and wet. Lucky I have a spare set. As I said, I was tired.

I did not start out the day intending to ride that far. I knew I wanted to ride the first 30 miles or so because it was all on bike trails, but thought I'd get in the van by mile 50 or so anyway. But it was just too much fun to quit!

We left Alexandria following the Capitol Crescent Trail and then, I think, the Rock Creek Trail. To my surprise and delight this took us right through DC, by the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. Upon leaving DC it seemed like we just wound around and around through the woods for 20 miles on this narrow, winding paved path. Very busy, hilly, curvy; I though it was really fun to ride on but some others did not. You did have to pay attention.

Once we finally emerged from the woods (and it's amazing to me how much woods we've been cycling through here so close to the big cities) we were in HILLS. I have so missed riding in hills, and I just loved this! I got to coast for half the day! Once again these were narrow, winding roads, and there was a fair amount of traffic, but the speed limit was mostly in the 30's, the vehicles behaved well, and there was very little truck traffic.


My friend Christine Smith, who I know from several previous tours, joined up with the tour in Alexandria. On our rest day she and I took the train from Alexandria into DC to go to the Smithsonian Museum of American Art. Very worthwhile. And then we got a bonus train ride on the way home, as we boarded the train going in the wrong direction and were almost to the end of the line before we realized it.

We went out to pretty nice restaurants both nights in Alexandria, and both nights what did I order? Hamburger and french fries. I guess Emily (our cook) has just been feeding us too healthy. I've been craving big juicy beefy burgers.
One of my favorite paintings from the Smithsonian American Art Museum

Me and Lincoln at his monument

Entering Maryland, where we spent just one night, in Owings Mills

Oops, I think this goes with tomorrow;s blog. 40 miles of this trail.

Washington Monument

No comments: