Saturday, May 30, 2015

Damn Cough, Exciting Entertainment

Today's Mileage: 35
Cumulative elevation gain: 1300 feet
Weather: Hot, humid, sunny
Attitude: Tired, a bit grouchy

I am skipping the group dinner tonight as I just feel like I need some down time and alone time. I coughed badly for most of the ride today, and even though I "bumped up" 24 miles this morning in the van, I ended up grouchy and tired. I am so, so tired of this damn cough.  Time to bite the bullet and get the endoscopy when I get back, and be open to the possibility of surgery. Either that or discontinue both eating and exercise.

Still, it was a pretty ride and certainly much easier than yesterday. We crossed into New York today and are now in the Hudson River valley.Stopped in New Platz for coffee and lunch, and tonight we are in Highland, NY.

We were at our hotel by about 1pm today, and had some fascinating afternoon entertainment watching guys take down this huge pine tree right next to the hotel. Heartstopping!

Zoom in... theres a guy way up there in that tree!

He gradually cut off the branches above him and lowered them down by means of a rope.Then started just cutting off 2-3 foot sections and throwing them down. Using a chain saw, often cutting towards himself. You can see the chainsaw on a rope hanging from his belt. 

Chips flying from the chainsaw

As he got to the thicker part of the trunk, this big crane was used to lower the pieces into a truck. That's the piece he just cut off, hanging in the air.

No comments: