Saturday, May 2, 2015

Statesboro Blues

Today's mileage:47
Cumulative elevation gain: 1020 feet
Weather: Absolutely could not be better: 70 and sun, sun, sun
Attitude: exhausted

In Statesboro, Georgia for the night.

Both weather and roads were just perfect today. It was a chilly 48 when we started out at sunrise this morning but quickly warmed as the sun hit. No terrifying roads today, the whole 47 miles was peaceful, smooth, and sans rumble strips.

But as perfect as everything was, I just hit the wall at 40 miles. I've really no idea why. Maybe it's leftover stress from yesterday. Or the fact that I coughed for most of the morning and had one of those thankfully rare coughing fits where I had to pull to the side of the road with tears running down my face and sound like I was dying for 10 minutes. Or the little bit of intestinal distress I've been having. At any rate, it all combined to just exhaust me. I was here before 1pm and had planned to go out and see the sights, but instead, as soon as the room was ready I collapsed on the bed and was out like a log for a full three hours.

While waiting for the room to be ready I walked over to a little place called Doner Kebab for lunch, and had what I would call a gyro: flatbread, lamb or beef sliced off one of those cones, with lettuce, onions, and something close to tzatziki sauce, although evidently with sugar added.  So, turkish / greek food, run by a Vietnamese guy who had lived in Germany for 20 years, now transplanted to small-town Georgia, and he advertises his place as, I kid you not, "authentic German fast food".What a cross-cultural fusion confusion!

Tomorrow we will cross into South Carolina. It's a 70 mile day and unless I feel a lot more energetic by morning, I will not be riding all of it.
The 12-year-old boy in me could not let this pass by

Home of  Manassas Foy, built around 1880-ish. Someone still lives there at least part time. She came out and talked to us. Made me think of Grey Gardens, although she was dressed fairly normally.

Lunch stop

Onions! The local sweet onion festival is next weekend

Miles and miles of pine plantations. Those of you who knew me as a teenager will understand why this area reminds me of Michigan. This is what the road in front of my dad's place used to look like. 

1 comment:

Shelia said...

Hi Vickie--looks like you are enjoying your trip! We have a Doner Kebab below us on the square on Market Days (Tue & Sat) it is actually run by a Turkish gentleman. Right next to it is a Vietnamese stand and though we live in the Netherlands we are on the border with Germany. The kebab is actually Russell's favourite lunch place. Try Turkish yogurt sometime...not greek. I just had to laugh when I read your blog. The pines really do look like the old ones on Chippewa River Road.