Thursday, May 7, 2015

Rain and Great Coffee

Today's mileage: 54
Cumulative elevation gain: 488 feet
Weather: 60 and rain
Attitude: I feel great!

Who knows why I feel so good today? We were still on roads with plenty of traffic and no shoulder (I don't believe I've seen a shoulder on a road yet in South Carolina), and it rained all day. Maybe the rain and cool temps reminded me of home. For some reason, I do like riding in the warm rain, once I get myself out there.

Most of us did a few bonus miles today. The cue sheet said to turn left at mile 12.9 at the flashing yellow light onto Choppee Rd. We came to a flashing yellow light at about mile 9, and the sign said Choppee Rd. Now, wouldn't you turn there? But I could not convince the group. Instead we asked a local guy, who said, oh yeah there's another turn onto Choppee Rd about 3 miles on, that's the one you want. Is there a yellow flashing light there? Oh yes. Really? Two different turns with two yellow flashing lights onto two different roads with the same name, within three miles of each other? Sure there is!  NOT. Why would this guy misdirect us like this?  This had to be intentional.

Tonight we are in Conway, SC. I am so glad my riding buddy and I decided to pass up the turn on the cue sheet and head on into the town's historic district. Very nice, and with and excellent coffee shop, Rivertown Roasters. Best latte I've had since I left Seattle!

My riding buddy Nancy and the very nice proprietor of Rivertown Roasters.

No comments: