Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Seattle Weather in Connecticut

Two days ago I rode in the van all day. We crossed into Connecticut and got to the hotel at 10:30 in the morning, and miraculously, rooms were ready! This was probably the nicest place we've stayed for the whole trip, a small, quiet, very cute little place with flowered wallpaper rooms and fluffy down comforters. We went out to lunch and while we were there the temperature dropped a good 10-15 degrees. Back at the hotel, I slept for most of the afternoon, with the windows open, listening to the birds singing. It was wonderful.
Yesterday morning we got up to rain and 46 degrees. About half the group just bagged it, but I dug my rain pants, shoe covers, fleece vest, and long-fingered gloves out of the bottom of the suitcase, and off I rode with intrepid Leslie, she in her sandals and shorts. A few miles in, she at least put on socks, but at mile 20 we both had had enough and climbed into the crowded van with the others. We now had all the bikes that would fit on the roof, one stuffed into the kitchen in the trailer, and one actually in the van with us. Those that had stayed dry lent dry and warm clothes to us, and wonderful Emily made us hot chocolate while we waited to check on the half-dozen or so hearty souls who decided to keep riding. 
The weather has not improved this morning and most of us will be in the van again today. It's only a 40 mile ride, so we're not even leaving this morning until 10-ish. It's been so great to just sleep in and have a leisurely coffee in the room. I spent some time changing my homeward travel reservations a bit. My previous reservations had me getting into Seattle late Saturday night, spending the night at a hotel, and then..... but oh wait, the bus I need does not run on Sunday! So, I am coming home three days earlier, flying in June 25th. Will still have to spend the night at the airport but that's fine. Home, home, home, on June 26th.
And just 7 more riding days. Tomorrow is our rest day in Sturbridge, Massachusetts. Then 4 riding days to Freeport, Maine, another rest day, and 3 riding days to Bar Harbor! Bar Harbor is probably one of those places I'll want to come back to, but I am so focused on homeward bound right now, I'll just fly out the next morning to Michigan. 
Home, home, home, home,home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bar Harbor and the Ocean Drive is an outstanding ride!! From Ocean Drive hop up to a road bridge that takes you into Seal Harbor and Northeast Harbor, a very cute town and marina area. Then ride along Somes Sound, a fjord, and have lunch on Sommes Sound at Abel's Lobster Pound... really the very best lobster ever. It's worth a few extra scheckels believe me. I used to waitress there in the 60's. Ride back on the inland road to Bar Harbor. Really, do consider an extra day to do this from Bar Harbor. It is an absolutely outstanding ride with rocky cliffs, anenome caves, water spouts, sand beach and cute harbor towns. Gay