Monday, September 3, 2012

T minus 24 hours and counting....

Today I'm loading my car full of camping, hiking, biking and kayaking gear for my trip back to Michigan, where I will spend the better part of 2 months with my dear old dad.. Leaving tomorrow, I am planning a leisurely 2 week trip there, driving just north of the Canadian border most of the way. I am still undecided on the route when I get close. I would love to take the ferry across Lake Michigan. But I would also love to drive around the north side of Lake Superior. And the south side. And along the north shore of Lake Michigan. Stay tuned...

Meanwhile, I've got a house and cat sitter lined up. I've cleaned the house, the garage, the car, the refrigerator, made my list and checked it twice, did extra cuddling with the cat, forwarded my mail, put my paper on hold, returned library books, made space for housesitter in the closet and dresser....did I miss anything? I hope not.

Oh, and in case any of my Euchre group is reading this, I've stealthily foisted a somewhat refurbished Euchie off onto Mira's front porch.

It's been a busy (and pricey) summer.... Got my gutters cleaned and repaired and screening added to the top of them. Got thermal shades installed for the winter. Got the rats cleaned out of my crawlspace.Got the 8-foot-tall blackberries cut down on my hillside in preparation for landscaping in the spring. Got the landscaping plan from the geotechnical engineer. And just a few days ago I found out there was a crack in the firebox of my propane fireplace, my main source of heat. Not wanting to either freeze or asphyxiate my house sitter, I have bought a new fireplace but it won't be installed until late September, so I'll come home to a new one.

I am so looking forward to this trip. But at the same time I am already looking forward to being back here in November and settling in cozily for the winter.

No comments: