Saturday, September 8, 2012

Rhymes with....

Tonight I am staying right in the middle of downtown Regina, the capitol of Saskatchewan. Tomorrow morning I'm planning to check out what is supposed to be a nice network of bike trails here.

Camping last night actually turned out to be very quiet after 9pm hit and all the RVers turned off their generators. Finally I could actually tell that I was camped right next to a little babbling brook, which sang me pleasantly to sleep.


Drove my first 50 or so miles this morning on gravel back roads, just lovely, lovely, gold and green rolling prairie dotted with purple-blue ponds and lakes, all covered with waterfowl.


Stopped in downtown Moose Jaw, mostly just to say I'd been there.I asked a local how to get back on hwy 1 eastbound, and of course he sent me in exactly the WRONG direction, clear back to the WEST end if town, thus proving once again that you can't trust locals for directions. Possibly this young man just did not know east from west?

I bought a new cell phone this summer party to make sure I'd have cell phone access on this trip. The Verizon website clearly says I should be able to send and receive calls from Canada, albeit at the exorbitant rate of $.69 per minute. So far, no luck. I bravely ran the gauntlet of the 1-800 Verizon customer service maze, to be told that he"didn't think" that prepaid plans had any service in Canada. The young man asked me where I was, when I told him there was dead silence. I had to explain to him that it started with an R, not a V.....

And now at last some pictures and even a couple of videos:

The first video is the best way I could figure out to show the Frank Slide, discussed a couple of days ago. The second video is just the magnificence of the great plains in Saskatchewan. 





Pictures at last!
Saskatchewan Hay

Pretty bike trail at Cypress Hills Provincial Park, Alberta

The view from the Thunder Dome (See 9/4 blog) along the N. Cascades Hwy
Some pictures at last!

No comments: