Friday, September 21, 2012

Odd jobs at Chippewa Pines

I've spent a few days cleaning stuff out of my old bedroom here at my dads house, and trying to find the source of the rather unpleasant cat pee smell. Shirley, his wife and my dear aunt mom (she was my mom's brother's widow) was bit of a pack rat. Among many other things I bet I found at least 500 pens and pencils, all neatly rubber-banded together. So today will include a trip to Good Will.

I bought a black light thingie at the pet store which works remarkably well for finding cat pee, and doused it all thoroughly with Natures Miracle ( if you have pets that leave presents on your carpeting, you need this stuff. It is truly miraculous!). Much more pleasant in the bedroom now.

Yesterday I helped my dad haul a truckload of stuff to the dump. The truck is his 37 year old jeep, and every time I'm home I wonder if this will be its last gasp, but so far it's doing pretty well as long as you don't exceed about 45 mph. And make sure you clean the mouse nests out of the engine in the spring.

My 85-year-old dad can hardly walk anymore, is in constant pain, and has to rest often during any type of physical activity. Yet he told me that a few weeks ago he was up on the roof to clean out his gutters and chimney! I would like to forbid him from doing this in the future but doubt it would do any good. His mind is still sharp so I guess he can make his own decisions.

Last night I got the kayak in the water for a pleasant hours paddle up the river and back. I would've gone a little further but the river is so low right now I got irritated with dragging bottom, there's not enough water for the paddles to get leverage through the little rapids, and I am reluctant to use my pricey fiberglass paddles as poles to push through.

Pictures coming soon....

No comments: