Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mountains and Road Repair

At long last I've made it to Cranbrook BC. It took me close to nine hours to drive less than 300 miles today. Road repair, road repair, slow trucks on narrow winding roads, road repair, slow RV's on narrow winding roads, road repair. And then some more road repair. Brutal.

Still, it was a beautiful drive. And once I got on canada hwy 3 (The Crow's Nest Highway) it was a breeze.

There are a whole lot of mountains here! Today I've been through the Selkirks and the Kootenays, the orchards of the Okanagon and the western-movie-like Pend Orielle area, and now am sitting on the western edge of the Rockies. And it's raining. The first rain I've seen since July 22nd, and I am quite enjoying it.

I was hoping to get here in time to do an hour or two of biking, but, aside from the rain, it's after 6pm (mountain time) and will be dusk in an hour or so.

I am staying right in the middle of downtown Cranbrook, at what I had hoped would be a cute and funky old hotel. It is cute and funky from the outside, but the rooms look pretty much like Motel 6. Minus the amenities. Oh well, certainly more interesting than staying out on the highway next to a strip mall.

 

No comments: