Tuesday, September 4, 2012

On the road again

Last night I camped in a little community park just outside of Omak. Just me and a couple of homeless people. A 50+ year old guy who says he is an ex-marine and just waiting for some sort of vet-related payoff so he can get a place to rent. Seems a bit doubtful to me but he was a nice enough guy and had an adorable little dog. And a 72-year old woman living out of her truck and working at the local food bank. Both of them have been there for a month or more, although the signs says there's a 72-hour limit for campers. Hope they find better digs before winter.

I stopped for a couple of hours of hiking in North Cascades National Park yesterday, the Thunder Dome trail. Glad for the exercise but I did not see Mel Gibson or Tina Turner, and it just wasn't very scenic except for a great view of Diablo lake at the very end. There's a much better view about 10 minutes on up the road.

Maybe it was Thunder Knob. But I like the dome thing better.

Just finished breakfast in Tonasket WA, heading on towards Republic and Colville, then probably up into Canada. In 2010 I rode this route. Hard to believe. Mountain passes: Rainy, Washington, Loup Loup, Wauconda, Sherman.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vickie, looks like a great adventure, I'm jealous!! My ankle is still a nuisance, but I see light at the end of the tunnel. Make sure you stop at Theodore Roosevelt National Park in western ND and make sure you stop in Fargo!! Call me Ann 7018669045