Thursday, October 18, 2012

On the river again

My new kayak arrived at 10:30 yesterday morning, and by 12:30 I was on the water for yet another repeat of my usual 3 hour paddle. The river is up about 8 inches from when I did this a couple of weeks ago, which cut about a half hour off the time. It was nice not to have to spend quite so much time searching for floatable channels. The downside was getting back out of the river at my dad's house. What used to be a nice set of 3 concrete steps leading down to the water is now a jumble of loose concrete blocks snd weed- and mud-covered slabs at odd angles. I managed to end up fully immersed, twice, getting my stuff out of the kayak. It was, shall we say, bracing.

The new kayak is just what I wanted for paddling the river. A stubby little 10 footer ( an Old Town Vapor 10), it turns on a dime, and at about 40 pounds is light enough for me to carry for a few steps without severe back pain. The huge cockpit (hmm, not sure thats the correct term...) makes it relatively easy to get in and out of, and affords a nice variety of sitting positions. I will need to get a spray skirt for cooler weather, as I was sitting in about an inch of water by mid-trip. Luckily yesterday was a marvelous Indian summer 70 and sunny.

I am amazed that these pretty guys posed for me before sliding off the rock and under the water.

 
 

No comments: