Sunday, October 7, 2012

Cruising down the river, and lots of pictures

The Big Rock on the Chippewa River
Earlier this week we loaded my kayak in the 35-year-old pickup and my dad dropped me off 7 miles up the river, for a pleasant 3.5 hour paddle back home. I have paddled this stretch of river countless times in the past 50 years, and never tire of it.


Wow! 

And a big Heron

Fall color and clear blue skies. Can't be beat!

Nice reflections


I couldn't resist these red and yellow leaves on the blue lawn chair

Fall color is already fading at Chippewa Pines
We went up to the family farm in Standish for Uncle Louie's 80th birthday celebration. The house was FULL of kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids. The farm has been in the family for well over a hundred years, at least back to my great-grandfather. Cousin Tim runs it now. He grows quite a bit of organic stuff, milks about 400 (?) cows, and farms somewhere around a thousand acres. Cousin Doug grows a great vegetable garden there and I got to take home a big bag of rainbow chard and sweet potatoes.
3 farmers: Cousin Tim (currently in charge), Uncle Louie, and my dad

Uncle Louie and Aunt Gin's grand- and great-grand kids on the trampoline.

Uncle Louie turns 80, with some of his grand and great grandkids

More pretty river

and yet more...

Cabin at the old boy scout property next to our land

more color

sunspotted woods

Color by the pole barn at Chippewa Pines

No comments: