Sunday, October 28, 2012

Badlands, black hills, and devils tower

Lunch in Gillette, WY today. I haven't made it far this morning because I took a side trip to Devil's Tower NationL Monument. It's impressive, rising close to a thousand feet above its surroundings, and I took the mile and a half walk around it, through open ponderosa forest and huge rocks that have fallen off the tower.

Yesterday i took a beautiful drive through Badlands National Park, and then through the Black Hills, with just a drive-by sighting of Mt Rushmore. Not fond of the area leading up to Mt Rushmore, as it is filled with every ticky tacky tourist trap known to Man... Reptile museums, mystery spots, "gem" collections, "genuine indian artifacts" etc....pretty much all closed this time of year, thank god, can't imagine what a mess this area must be in the summer.

However, once past the presidents, the scenery is spectacular. Hills and sharp curves, ponderosa forests, big rock formations.

Past that was the town of Wall, home of Wall Drugs, perhaps the most billboarded business in the known universe. Aside from the hundreds of billboards throughout south Dakota, I remember seeing a sign for it in Amsterdam years ago, so I had to stop. Did not stay long.

Im beginning to question whether I will make it home by Monday. Too many interesting places to see, and I'm now at the point in my life where I realize I may not be back this way again.

Pictures of much of the above coming soon.....

 

No comments: