Saturday, October 20, 2012

Musings in Midland

I had forgotten (or possibly just never appreciated ) how beautiful the oak trees are here in Michigan this time of year. Most of the other leaves are down, but the oak leaves hold tight until mid-winter. Now, these big, graceful beauties show off every shade of gold and brown and rust imaginable, highlighted by the skeletons of their stark black trunks and branches. The gray sky today just adds to the beauty. It's like an alternative version of all those shades of green we see in the spring.

Yesterday I played tourist in my home town, visiting, for the first time, two museums. The Midland Center for the Arts had a beautiful exhibit of glass art by David Huchthausen (from Seattle!) Check it out at www.huchthausen.com. Good enough that I will definitely seek him out back in Seattle.

Then I went to the Midland Heritage museum. I've been by there many times, as it's right on the bike trail, but never got further than using their restrooms. This time I spent close to two hours looking though the Midland history exhibit, and ended up buying a book to learn more. I ran out of time so I will have to go back again to go through the Dow Chemical history exhibit. This is where Dow originated, and is still its corporate headquarters. This town quite literally would not exist without Dow.

On a less pleasant note, OMG I AM TIRED OF LISTENING TO FOX NEWS which plays during all waking hours at my dad's house. I am especially tired of them harping ENDLESSLY on who knew what, when, about the Libya attack. Give it up! It's a dead horse! Dead, dead, dead!

No comments: