Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Heading Towards Arizona

Boy it's been a long time since I've written in here! It's taken seeing the real ocean again to inspire me. I am currently in Fort Bragg, California, where I stayed last night. Treated myself to an oceanfront room, and I'm having my morning coffee while watching big green waves crash over the seastacks outside my window.  Magnificent.  I really need to get out to the ocean more often. Puget Sound is nice, but very tame compared to this.

I left home two days ago, and both days were long, long drives. Yesterday afternoon I drove the last 45 stunning miles on hiway 1 into Fort Bragg. Hundreds of hairpin curves through forest and along cliffs above the ocean. Luckily I found a place for a triple espresso in Eureka or I never would've made it. This drive requires one to be ALERT. Living in Fort Bragg must be much like living on an island. It takes real effort to get here, and there is no easy route.

I've been here once before, about 5 years ago. At the time I was expecting one of those rather downtrodden military towns, but it turns out whatever "fort" there was in Fort Bragg was during the civil war, and now it's just a beautiful seaside town.

It's warm enough here that there are spring wildflowers in bloom, and I slept with the door to my balcony open last night, lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves. Well, that and a soak in the jacuzzi  and a couple of beers.

Having a bit of trouble convincing myself to move on from here. But I haven't seen the sun since I left home. I've got about 1000 miles to cover and 6 days to do it, gonna slow down some from here on. Southward!

No comments: