Saturday, February 4, 2017

A day of rest

I had planned to go to Joshua Tree yesterday but woke up so tired, and it was so nice to just sit and relax for the morning, that I decided to just hang around town and spend another night here in Yucca Valley. It is certainly not the prettiest town I've ever been in, but the sky is blue and the surrounding scenery is fabulous, and there is a Starbucks. 

I spent most of the afternoon on a long walk around town, then came back and sucked down another few chapters of "A Feast for Crows", the 4th book in the Game of Thrones series. I've watched the videos through season 6 and find that reading the books fills in quite a few gaps that I didn't quite understand from the videos. The books are good, certainly worth reading if you like the show, but they are LONG and I do find myself skimming quite a bit. George R. R. Martin spends quite a few more words describing knights costumes than I really think is necessary. Still, it's an amazingly detailed world he has created and I feel like I know Westeros pretty well by now, from Dorne to the Wall.

Today, on to Joshua Tree, and then a short drive to Blythe where I have a hotel reserved for tonight. And tomorrow.... Arizona!

No comments: