Friday, February 24, 2017

Back to Greenery

After four very long days on the road, I arrived home yesterday to sunshine and greenery. I do love where I live!

I probably could've made it home in 3 days, but took a the scenic route on curvy, mountainous 89a for most of northern Arizona. Well worth the extra time.

Perhaps I was a copper miner in my past life, because now I feel that I must go back to visit Jerome, AZ, another place that owes it's existence to copper. This tiny town (population about 400) is perched precariously on the side of a mountain and looks to be full of galleries and restaurants. It bills itself as  "America's most vertical city". Sorry I did not even stop for a picture, but you can find plenty on line. http://www.azjerome.com/jerome/

I spent the night in Sedona. Had not been there before. Of course it's beautiful, but very, very upscale-touristy, Whole Foods and all.  I much prefer funkier.

Once I got to southern Utah it took all my willpower not to turn towards Zion National Park. I've been there I think four times but not for 15 years and it's really time I went back. Promised myself as soon as I got home I'd try to book at the lodge for this fall, but they seem to be full up.

Second night on the road I spent in tiny Scipio Utah. Nothing there but a cheap hotel. When I took off in the morning it was spitting icy snow, and continued to do so pretty much all the way past Salt Lake.

Third night was in Baker City OR. Really a nice little town, and the Geiser Grand Hotel, built in 1889, is a gem.

A couple of days before leaving Bisbee, Gail and I took a drive down to Douglas, right on the Mexican border. There is really nothing to see there except the Gadsden Hotel, which in itself is worth the drive. Hard to imagine why this big old fancy hotel is there, but it's all due to copper mining.
Fountain in Hotel Gadsden, Douglas AZ

Hotel Gadsden, Douglas AZ. Too bad the stained glass above the staircase doesn't show up better.

Gail at Chiricahua

Gail at Chiricahua

Hiway 89A north of Sedona. Look closely and you'll see two levels of the hiway winding up the hill

Vermillion Cliffs from hiway 89a, just east of Grand Canyon. Been here before, and one of my favorite places. Had hoped to eat lunch here but wind was blowing so hard you could hardly stand up.

Big snowy hills above Ellensburg WA

Geiser Grand hotel, Baker City OR

No comments: