Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Greatest Thing I've Seen In My Life, or Any Other Time

OK, that may be stretching it a bit, but it will take me a while to wind down from this! Just got back from a huge big band swing dance (alas, I was only an onlooker). A 20 piece big band, great vocalists, great swing and jazz, and 200+ people dancing in the street: This is GROSS, the Grand Rapids Original Swing Society,officially (per Guinness), the largest swing dance group in the world. It's all ages, and they dance every Tuesday night. This is their last outdoor dance of the year but they continue indoors next week. Tonight it was almost all kids, I would guess high school and college ages, although there were a few oldsters mixed in. Barefoot girls, girls in high heels. Both sexes in t-shirts, jeans, plaid flannel. And everyone having a great time. It was just delightful to see.

The band was Hark Up Horns, and I do love me some horns!. I will definitely look for their schedule when I'm in Michigan.

Check out

http://www.grandrapidsoriginalswingsociety.com/

No comments: