Monday, October 13, 2014

A 911 call, Fall Colors, and More Art

 I thought I’d program one of buttons on Dad's new phone for  911. However, I hit the wrong key and realized I had actually dialed 911, so I hung up. Within 15 seconds, I got a call back from 911 asking if everything was OK. They also confirmed that they had Dad’s correct name, address, and phone number (they did). I’m impressed. 

Yesterday I forged another 20 miles west on the Pere Marquette trail. I've now ridden the first 75 miles. It's hard to say how much further this trail goes, as the official website only shows it going 30 miles, to Clare. I don't know why so many rail trails have such poor information published!

My time here has gone quickly and I've got just over a week before heading home, and quite a few visits and chores to get in before then. 

Fall color along the Pere Marquette trail
 On the way to do this ride yesterday, I did some exploring to see if I could find the headwaters of the Chippewa River. Here it is, about 50 miles (MUCH further by river) upstream from Dad's house. Someday I'd like to paddle more of it than the last 20 or so (by road) miles, 13 of which I've done too many times to count.
Headwaters of the Chippewa River, about 50 miles upstream from Dad's house.
 I'm catching up on posting a few pictures from last week. Here is my dad at the High Banks Rollway near Buckley, Michigan. It was a bit of a a stretch for him to walk (with his walker) the 50 yards from the car but I think he enjoyed the view.
Dad at the High Banks Rollway near Buckley MI

This place is NOT easy to find but well worth visiting in the fall!
Fall color at the High Banks Rollway near Buckley MI

Here are a few catch-up pictures from my visit to Art Prize
I want to ride this rollercoaster. Someone has cleverly combined pictures of several different coasters.

30,000 crayons! Each panel was completed by a different Catholic community, and the scene is supposed to depict the story of Noah.
Close-up of crayon picture


Quilting inspiration for me this winter. I am a sucker for bright colors!


Why I did not spent much time in the Grand Rapids Art Museum. This is a pretty good depiction of how many people visit Art Prize. Luckily in most places they are more spread out!


This abstract painting fascinated me because I'd swear it's full of people, but when I look closely I cant' find them!~

Photo does not do justice to this amazing painting

Lovely mosaic in Grand Rapids.You can't tell from the picture but it's 3D, with the nose sticking out.






No comments: