Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Art, art, art

I am in Grand Rapids MI, resting up after four hours of wandering the streets looking at Art Prize art. Here are some of my favorites so far:
NOT a photo. This is an oil painting. Quite a few photorealistic paintings, but this is my favorite so far.

The Bat Bike

Infinity Box. There were a bunch of these mirror-filled boxes to peek into. The box itself is only about a 2 foot cube. My favorite of the 3-d art so far. See my reflections?

Another Infinity Box

Plenty of outdoor installations too

Pyrography (wood burning), amazing detail

There are just crowds and crowds of people here. And lots of kids: every grade school in the tri-state area must take a field trip here. After four hours I was exhausted and even a latte did supply much additional energy. I'm trying to muster the energy to walk the half mile to the Founders Brewery taproom for dinner. Founders Dirty Bastard ale is my very favorite beer. I can't miss visiting it's home!

I am staying tonight in the middle of downtown at the CityFlatsHotel. It's pretty pricey but you can't beat the location. I've never seen a hotel decorated (or not) like this before; I would call it minimalist mid-century modern. No colors in this room except for various shades of taupe, grey, tan, black and white. Lots of hard edges, cork floor, stainless steel. Chair and lamp designs straight from the early 60's.  LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified. An interesting place. 

Oh wait, one of the lampshades is olive green.


No comments: