Friday, September 18, 2009






I just haven’t felt much like writing for most of this trip, so am just catching up today. Too busy biking, visiting, and just enjoying the sunshine, of which we’ve had nothing but, every single day that we’ve been here. I still plan to stay for a few more days, but have to admit I am so hoping that rain greets me when I drive over the pass back to the west side of the Cascades. I am really looking forward to spending INSIDE time.

Meanwhile… After 5 days of riding and camping with my friends, yesterday they headed home. I drove back towards Penticton, and I stopped and paddled for a while on Vaseaux Lake. After I got out on the water I felt a bit ridiculous in my life jacket as much of the lake is less than 6 inches deep. In places I had to pull up my rudder to keep it from dragging. Double click on the picture to see the nice line of geese posing for me.
Last night I camped alone at Banbury Green Resort, just south of Penticton, and I think I will stay here for at least two more nights. My tent is pitched ten feet from the shore of Skaha lake, and today I spent about 2 hours paddling down the lake against the wind, and an hour sailing and surfing back with almost no paddling. Fun!




20 feet away on the other side of my tent is the KVR (Kettle Valley Rail Trail), which unfortunately is not really suitable for a road bike, but still I hope to ride it the 3 or 4 miles into town tomorrow. The KVR goes for many miles, much of it through wilderness (I’ve seen bikers wearing bear bells) and over some big old railroad trestles which have been rebuilt after burning down in forest fires a few years ago. Someday I’d like to come back with a mountain bike

No comments: