Monday, September 7, 2009

Fall arrives

Right on time for Labor Day, it has rained all weekend. I feel sorry for the Labor Day campers, but anyone from the northwest knows to expect this, and the rain is SO welcome!

I suppose this means I've waited too long to do any serious blackberry picking this year, but here's a picture anyway. This is from the beach near my house, but basically what every vacant lot, bluff, and untended yard look like around here in late summer. It amazes me to see blackberries for sale in the grocery store when there are quite literally enough blackberries here, free for the picking, for every man, woman, and child in the greater Puget Sound area.


I intended to light my furnace (propane fireplace) this morning but for some reason it won't light. Seems like I go through this every fall. I turn it off for the summer, since propane has become so expensive, to save the money that running the pilot light all summer would cost me. Then I end up paying the service man $150 to get it re-lit for me in the fall, thus pretty much negating any cost savings. Oh well, I suppose turning it off is still the environmentally correct thing do to.

A few nights ago during my sunset paddle, a whole school of porpoises passed within 50 feet of me... there must have been around a dozen of them. There are so many salmon jumping out there now, I really though one was going to land right in my boat. I wonder if it's legal to take one home if it volunteers like that?

Sunset has now travelled well south of it's summer position behind Double Bluff, to the northern part of the Olympics.

I've just about finished packing for my bike trip in the Canadian Okanagan, for which I will be leaving on Wednesday morning. I'm taking along my new netbook so hope to do some posts while on the trip.

A week or so ago my friends Vicki and Nick were here for a visit. YOu'll have to guess which one is which:

No comments: