Sunday, September 20, 2009

Home by the Scenic Route

I woke up this morning feeling a visceral longing for salt air and greenery. I decided to head towards home via the scenic route, maybe stopping for another day down at Steamboat Rock State Park.

But first, I drove up through Summerland and Kelowna, and back down the east side of the lakes, to check out the route for possible future rides.

My conclusions:
1. I am very glad we did NOT ride to Summerland. For several miles of this route they are doing road construction and the highway is one narrow lane with no shoulder whatsoever, and lots of traffic.

2. The route around the east side of the lakes would be HARD. Out of Kelowna, it’s up up up up and then more up, to an almost 4000 foot pass, not a whole lot of traffic but little or no shoulder, no facilities and nothing but heavily forested mountains (the Kootenays, I believe) for about 50 miles. BUT, if we had someone to sag, from Beaverdell on southward it’s downill and very nice all the way to the border.

I crossed the border at Midway, a tiny out-of-the way station with no waiting. After a friendly chat with the one guard there (he did check my passport and looked inside my kayak hatches for contraband, but I think it was mostly because he was bored and lonely), I continued south on Highway 21 all the way to I-90. I do believe that’s just about the prettiest road I’ve been on in Washington, and now I want to go back and bike there! It’s labelled as a highway, but I bet I only passed 30 cars the whole way.

Keller’s Ferry. Wow. I was just enchanted with this spot. After driving through miles and miles of rocky bluffs and forest, a tiny, free ferry takes you across Lake Roosevelt. You then climb switchbacks up and up the bluff, and just as you top the bluff... it's a whole 'nother world! It's just astounding. I had to get out of the car and just stare for awhile. PLEASE do yourself a favor and double-click to enlarge this picture!

No comments: