Sunday, September 20, 2009

Home Sweet Home

The need to see ocean again was just too great.

The drive from Keller's Ferry to I-90 was all rolling fields of grain, nary a tree in site other than those planted around houses as windblocks.

I forgot to get gas until it was almost too late, rolling into the tiny town of Odessa on fumes. I only saw one gas station, and it was closed. Uh-oh. I thought I was going to have to go begging for fuel at a farm. Then noticed a small sign pointing off the main street, for 24-hour credit-card-only gas, a couple of pumps next to the grain elevator. Whew!

I stopped right at sunset at a rest area on I-90, made coffee, and ate most of the rest of my unhealthy vacation snacks. That got me over the pass and home in time to catch the 10pm ferry. Oh, that ocean air smells good!

When I got home, in addition to the couple of beers that Gerry usually leaves me (thanks Ger!), there was slightly battered ear of corn in the fridge... hmm, I wonder where that came from? ;-)

No comments: