Monday, September 14, 2009

Bike Repair and Ice Cream

After another leisurely breakfast, we rode back into town hoping to find a bike store where I could replace my bike mirror, which I broke on my fall yesterday. Found a great bike shop and great mirror, and then it was time for lunch: perhaps the best sandwich I have ever had in my life, at a little deli near the bike shop. Finally, we headed out for our intended day-ride to the little town of Naramata. Just as we got to the top of the steep hill out of town, I finally decided that the “funny feeling” I had been experiencing with my bike all morning deserved attention. A closer look turned up a loose headset… not a good thing to have if you’re really depending on your bike going in the direction you steer it. So, the others went on towards Naramata, but I went back down the hill to the bike shop. They spent a few minutes tightening the headset for me, and I was on my way again. About halfway up that same steep hill out of town, I decided things still did not feel at all right. Back down I go again. This time, the guy says OK, my headset bearings have probably gone bad; come back in an hour or so.

Thus, I had the opportunity to thoroughly explore downtown Penticton. I quite like this town. It seems just the right size to me. Large enough to have a cosmopolitan feel, small enough to still feel like a small town. Even though there is a Wal-Mart on the edge of town, downtown still feels vibrantly alive. At least 3 very nice coffee shops, a quilting store, a shoe store where they had Keene sandals on sale… uh-oh, it’s Nancy’s fault, since she pointed this one out to me, that I now have my favorite sandals in a third color, a lovely dusty lavender.

Just about the time the others rode back into town from Naramata, my bike was finally done. I still wanted to do the ride, so I headed out while the others headed back towards camp. Finally all back at camp, we enjoyed a great pasta dinner and then were looking longingly at the two old guys across the street from us who were eating bowls of ice cream. Some dessert sure would be good!. Off went Cheryl to buy us some nice, healthy fruit for dessert. She hadn’t been gone more than a few minutes when one of those old guys came over and offered us the remainder of his carton of ice cream! Dixon Seabrook, bless your heart! He stayed and chatted for a bit, and then came back with ANOTHER carton of ice cream. What a guy.

No comments: