Friday, June 12, 2015

Done, and On the Way Home

I guess it's time to catch up! I am at the airport in Portland, Maine, waiting for my flight to Michigan. I'll finish my trip home on June 26th.

We rode into  Bar Harbor yesterday afternoon, after skirting through just a bit of Acadia National Park. Our last 2 days of riding we had perfect, sunny weather, nice roads, rolling hills through the Maine woods, with occasional glimpses of the ocean.

Our first day out of Freeport I didn’t ride at all, as I had a sore throat, not to mention a poor attitude about riding 75 miles of hills. Fourteen hours of sleep seem to have cured me, though.


We had a great final banquet last night, said our goodbyes, and this morning I walked my bike a half mile down the street to where the bike shop was supposed to be, but wasn’t. So rode a mile or so in the other direction to find the other bike shop listed in our information, and got it set up to be shipped back to the Whidbey bike shop to be reassembled and waiting for me.

So my totals for this trip are 1,970 miles (which means I rode in the van for 500+, a good sign that I probably won't do any more of these long tours....) and climbed a total of 48,385 feet. I'm glad I did it, but I'm glad it's over. 
Lesley and I entering Acadia

This put a big grin on my face!

View from my room in Bucksport, Maine

I met up with my high school friend Dave M. in Freeport. Had not seen him in 40 years! He's held up pretty well, dontcha think?

These are the EFI-ers on our trip. (having ridden Every F-ing Inch)

At the finish line 
LL Bean mothership

It's a bit blurry but conveys my joy at getting a whole, fresh Maine lobstah! I ate 2 of these during the last few days.

Leslie, Vickie, Lesley


At LL Bean

Group getting ready to ride in the morning

Impressive bridge going into Bucksport. There is an observation area in top of that tower.

I liked this old house

Creative use of snow shovels

We went through a couple of towns that had these old stores with the old Rexall Drug signs in front, and soda fountains.

My victory dance in the waters of Bar Harbor

No comments: