Saturday, June 6, 2015

MAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today's Mileage 46
Cumulative elevation gain:1650 ft
Yesterday: 55 miles, 2600 feet
Weather; Cool and sunny
Attitude: We've made it to Maine! That says it all.

Yesterday's ride was relatively easy, a full thousand feet less hilly than the day before. We stayed in Hampton, New Hampshire. It was a pleasant sunny day until we got near the coast. Right after we left our afternoon ice cream stop the temperature dropped about 10 degrees, and by the time we got to the coast we had a stiff headwind. Last night at dinner we were all bundled up in hats and jackets.

Our hotel last night was not the finest. As I lay in bed reading, out of the corner of my eye I see a cigarette hole in the sheet. And then another one. But they were moving. Bedbugs! Ugh, with all the hotels I stay in, I knew I would come across this eventually. Luckily, this room had another bed, separated off in it's own room, and did not seem to be infected. At any rate, I don't seem to have any bites. I sure hope none moved into my luggage. I'll be either washing everything in hot water or putting it in the freezer for a few days when I get home.

By this morning the wind had died down and by the time we'd ridden a few miles the clouds had cleared. Most of us stopped in Portsmouth NH, a lovely little town, for coffee. Then just a half mile down the road we all had to stop again to take pictures of our entry into Maine.

A highlight of today's ride was stopping at the Nubble Lighthouse, supposedly the most photographed lighthouse in the US. Before going out to the lighthouse I stopped at the edge of the parking lot to buy a lobster roll (which is basically just a sort of lobster salad sandwich. I'm not overly impressed but maybe I just haven't had a really good one yet.) and I wondered why I didn't see anyone actually out at the grounds around the lighthouse. Pictures below will explain why.
Coffee stop in Portsmouth NH

Cool shack behind one of the many lobster pounds 

Part of a museum just outside Kennebunk

Welcome to Maine!

The Maine coast

More Maine coast

Welcome to New Hampshire

Nubble Lighthouse

Nubble Lighthouse

No comments: