Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Yard work, Fireflies, and a Sick Cat

In downtown Midland, Michigan,  for my afternoon stop at the coffee shop.

It rained the first three days I was here, but yesterday morning dawned bright and clear and perfect for biking. I went into town on one of the rainy days and bought a cheap pair of pedals, since my fancy clip-in ones and my bike shoes are on my way home with my bike. Yesterday I gave them a 25 mile workout. It was so nice to just feel like I was meandering on the bike rather than trying to get somewhere.

I wish you could see the fireflies here! The last few nights they have been just everywhere, thousands of them spread out over the fields, even in the rain. I’ve never seen so many. I sat out on the porch last night with all the lights off just to watch them.


A couple of days ago I had to take poor Snoopy Cat to the vet. This poor kitty, who is about 12 years old, has had terrible intestinal issues for years. He is on a special diet and dad at least tries to give him medication twice a day, although sometimes he can’t catch him.  But still the poor thing gets so bound up he ends up screaming in pain and going back to the vet several times per year. On Monday I am taking him in to have a surgery that may help. I sure hope so.

It's supposed to start raining again tomorrow so today I am trying to get yard work done. Dad mowed half the lawn yesterday, and today I was going to do the edges, steep part of the hill and river bank with the DR trimmer. I hauled it out of the barn, checked the oil, filled it up with gas, and much to my surprise it started right up on the very first pull.  I knew this was too good to be true... now the actual mower part won't engage. So it's going to the small engine repair place this afternoon. Hope it's just a simple something that has come disconnected, as some trimming really needs to be done... the jungle is encroaching. Anyway, I finished mowing the other half of the lawn and the driveway, sawed down part of a dead tree in the front yard, and added it to the ever-growing brush pile. One of these winters we are going to have a BIG bonfire. 

No comments: