Friday, April 24, 2015

Sunshine and a Headwind

Today’s mileage:63
Cumulative elevation gain: 426 feet
Avg speed: 11 mph
Weather: 85, sunny and windy
Attitude: Tired but happy

No rain today and it was nice to see the sun. It is so hot and humid here I am sweating all the sunscreen off my arms about every half hour, sun or clouds, and I've  gotten a bit sunburnt the last couple of days. Today I bought some “arm coolers”,  thin white sleeves that are supposed to keep you cool and sunburn-free.

My legs are doing fine but at about the 30-mile mark each day my neck and shoulders have started hurting. Now carrying ibuprofen on the bike with me.

Today for the first time we rode on a really pretty, quiet, scenic road through Rockledge, along the Indian River. It only lasted about 6 miles, but it made the whole day so much more pleasant. Tree-lined, lots of beautiful older homes, what I think of as the “old Florida” kind with tin roofs and wrap-around porches. Unfortunately then we had an unpleasant 4 mile jaunt on a busy 4 lane highway (with a bike lane) to get to the hotel. No ocean front for us tonight; we’re right next to the freeway.

I did manage to find a Starbucks today! There sure aren’t very many of them along this route.


Would you believe that we have not one but THREE women from Australia on this trip? They did not come together either.
Indian River. 121 miles long, really more of a lagoon.




And he may also have landed just down the road...

Rock Ledge, oldest city in Brevard County

More of Rock Ledge. That's the Indian River on the right.

More of Rock Ledge

A steamy tunnel of Banyans

No comments: