Thursday, April 23, 2015

Island Hopping

Today's mileage: 64
Cumulative elevation gain: 536 feet
Average speed: 12 mph
Weather: Cloudy, rainy, sunny, 75-88F

I lost count of how many bridges we rode over today, island hopping along the barrier islands and over several big rivers and lakes. Tonight we're in Vero Beach, and our hotel is right on the beach, just lovely. Warm turquoise water and just enough surf to make it fun to walk along.

Today's ride was much prettier than yesterday's. There were lots of pictures I would have liked to take, but it's so steamy here my camera lens was all fogged up. (I have it drying out in rice tonight.) Far fewer condos, lots of parks along the beach. Cardinals and mockingbirds singing everywhere. Tunnels of banyan trees. Brown pelicans and Ibis.

I did put on my raincoat for about 15 minutes today during a downpour, but most of the rain was not coat-worthy. By noon the sun was out and it got even steamier. We did not pass a Starbucks all day, so I had to make do with a grocery store frappucino and a coke slurpy.

I was here by 3:30, plenty of time for a long, air-conditioned nap before dinner.

This is my first night with a roommate. I will have one about every third night on this trip. Really glad I'm doing that, as it's much easier to get to know people that way. I'm still a long ways from knowing everyone's name, though.

Hoping to see manatees tomorrow as we ride along the Indian River.
Banyan tunnel, copied from another rider's blog

No comments: