Monday, April 27, 2015

A Rest Day

Mileage today: zero!


What a nice relaxing day in St. Augustine. I walked to the coffee shop this morning for breakfast, did my laundry, cleaned my bike, and then went off to explore the "pedestrian mall" just a couple of blocks away.

 Lots of ticky-tacky-tourist shops and a few nicer ones. I wanted to buy a more comfortable pair of shorts, as the zip-off pants ones are just not doing it for me. I went in a half-dozen shops advertising beach wear, and none of them had shorts! I finally gave up and bought a ......drum roll......DRESS! I haven't had a dress on in at least 10 years (except for Halloween and my birthday costume party), but it seems cool, comfortable and simple. And then the very next shop I went into of course had exactly the shorts I'd been looking for, so I bought them too.

I had to stop at the gourmet popsicle shop, where they had flavors like pineapple cilantro and pear chablis. I had the very tasty pear gin.

It was just a short walk over to Castillo San Marcos. It, like many of the older structures in town, is built out of coquina, which is basically sea shells.
Gate into the pedestrian mall

Shells in the fort wall

Shells in the pillars in the pedestrian mall

Shells in the sidewalk

I treated myself to a sinful breve for my afternoon coffee, and then spent a little time in the pool and hot tub. Then out to dinner with a subset of our group, where I had a mango daquiri that was possibly even better than the mango shave ice I had yesterday. I do love mangoes.

Since I've been experiencing so much neck and shoulder pain I had one of our guides look at my bike this morning but there wasn't much she could do other than tilt the handlebars upwards about 1/4 inch. I guess if it continues to bother me I'll consider shopping for a different stem to shorten my reach a bit.

One more day in Florida.

No comments: