Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Springtime in the PNW

One week from today, I'm off to Michigan to spend another month at beautiful Chippewa Pines. If you want to follow my adventures while I'm there, I highly recommend entering your email into the "follow by email" gadget to the right. That way, you get notified when the blog is updated.

 Meanwhile, I'm trying hard to get my house and yard in a condition that I will look forward to coming home to. Yesterday I mowed the lawn ( for the first of the 3 or 4 times per year that I normally hack it back) and did battle with blackberries, with only minor blood loss.  I've managed to mostly free the pretty evergreen huckleberry from it's ugly blackberry prison. Hopefully the pile of brush will dry out enough to burn before this year's burn ban sets in.

The $$$$$ hillside project that I started last year is nearly complete. I now have 3 big retaining walls, lots of baby salal, evergreen huckleberry, swordfern, a few cyanothus, 3 vine maples, 2 smoke trees, and one mock orange. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the watering system installed which they will need to get them through the first couple of years. Then, if the deer don't eat them, the watering system works, the  blackberries don't re-invade..... perhaps I will have a beautiful, stable, no-maintenance hillside. We'll see....

Here are a few pictures from springtime 2013.
Big eyes on the Seattle waterfront

Rainier from the big city

Seattle sculpture park

Fremont Bike Mural

Yes folks, Jan 1st-Dec 31st

Seattle sculpture park

Shaggy mouse nudibranch (aka sea slug), about 3 inches long. Cute, huh?

No comments: