Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Adventures in kayak management

After my nice high water paddle the other day, I left the kayak tied up in my muddy little take-out spot (which long ago, by the way, was the cows' watering hole) in an inch or two of water. When more rain was forecasted I went back and turned it upside down so it wouldn't fill with water. Clearly, I didn't think this through. After another inch and a half of rain last night, today it was floating, upside down, in about three feet of water. And of course when I flipped it over I ended up with much more than 1.5 inches of water inside, which I had to bail before I could even manage to pull it up to a drier spot. OK, a lesson learned.

I decided to put the sprayskirt on the boat and leave it, hoping that maybe the elastic will stretch out a bit after a few days and make it physically possible for me to get it fastened to the boat while I'm in it. My god, it took me three tries to get it on there even without me in it!

The sun came out this evening and i squeezes in a 17 mile ride after dinner.

No comments: