Sunday, November 7, 2010

Details, Details

Ah, remember the good old days when I thought this whole kitchen remodel would cost me under $4000? Flooring for $1000? Well, that was a fantasy. I have about 360 sf of floor, and vinyl, even very good vinyl, is less than $4/sf. BUT.... since you have to buy it, apparently, in 12 foot widths, and eat the waste, the bid came in for close to 500 sf! PLUS, $1.20/SF for installation, and $1.20/ SF for "skim coat" (the stuff they have to put down to keep the texture on my old vinyl from eventually working it's way through to my new vinyl). PLUS... of course my toilet, sink, and stove have to be removed and reinstalled. And the few other heavy items I am reluctant to try to move myself. For this they want another $650! Bringing the total to about $3500, just for the flooring. Sigh. The bid looks to me like they're charging me for 500 sf of skim coat and installation, which seems wrong, so I am questioning that. And thinking possibly I can do the sink and toilet myself.....?

I'm still waiting for the countertop bid.

No comments: