Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Another Sunset Paddle

I'm sure we broke records for heat here today. I think we officially passed 99 F here on south Whidbey. Went to the grocery store and library to soak up some air conditioning, then home to sit in front of the fan and perspire for most of the afternoon. How did I survive Texas for 8 years????




This evening I put the kayak in again over at Maxwelton for a sunset paddle. This time I remembered the camera: After paddling out a ways, I just sat quietly and watched the sunset. I kept hearing this strange intermittent sound, like something brushing up against my kayak, or something breathing, or... yeah, that's it, something taking a breath.... Porpoises! A pair, surfacing to breathe, maybe 50 feet away. Then 20 feet, then 10 feet! Wow!

No comments: