Friday, July 24, 2009

They're Gone...

The Swainsons's thrushes, that is. They start singing in mid-May (this year at my house May 16th), gradually build to a crescendo in mid-July, and then suddenly, right around July 20th, they're gone. Whether they just stop singing or actually migrate this early, I don't know. But I am so sad to see them go. One of my favorite things about spring and summer is being serenaded to sleep by this ethereal song echoing through the woods; they sing from early evening until well after sunset. Their song is actually one of the reasons I bought my house; I was house hunting in early July and just enchanted by the sound. Check it out here:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Swainsons_Thrush/sounds
although a recording doesn't do it justice. You really have to hear them echoing through the woods, one answering another, in the quiet of the evening.

No comments: