Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sleeveless in Seattle

7-27-09
Another 90+ degree day, our 3rd in a row. Sunday I rode to the Everett waterfront, (30 miles, 2700 feet elevation gain) in this stuff. For the first time ever in the PNW, I wore my sleeveless jersey. Yesterday and today I am working, so spending the day n AC, and I fully intended to come home last night and go kayaking. But the heat just slapped me down… and man, dose my bedroom heat up (and not in a good way) during the day. Last night I tried sleeping out on the deck for awhile, but the mosquitoes drove me inside.


At 9am this morning it’s already plenty warm enough to keep the windows down on the car (especially since my AC quite working awhile back) . And this promises to be one of the 5 or so days per year when it’s comfortable to stand outside on the ferry deck in shirtsleeves for the whole ride.


I am writing this on my new Asus Eee900 PC, a tiny little netbook which weighs barely 2 pounds. The upside is this will be very easy for me to carry on bike trips. The downside is, well, it’s tiny. The keyboard is not quite 9 inches wide, which makes typing a cramped challenge. And I’ve turned the zoom up to 200% on the display so that I can actually read my typing… although that may have as much to do with my aging eyesight as with the display size. This is my test day to see how much of the “up to 3. 5 hours battery life” I’m really likely to get.



7-28

I managed to overcome heat lethargy and get the kayak in the water last night for a 90 minute paddle at sunset. Lovely, silky-smooth pinkpurpleorangeyellowblue water . I was looking at this big house up on the bluff as I paddled past, and then after awhile I noticed I didn't actually seem to be paddling past, but more like staying even with it. Turns out there ARE some tidal currents around here!

No comments: