Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pere Marquette Rail Trail, Canoeing, and a Vist to Standish

It's been a busy week, and I've got just 3 days left here in Michigan.  But I'll be back in January, and again in June.

I got in a fabuous 40-mile bike ride on the Pere Marquette trail, on a section I hadn't yet ridden. (Farwell to Evart). I think this is my favorite stretch of this trail so far. Seemed to be a headwind both ways. How does that work???

Evart is about 60 miles from the start of the trail in Midland, all of which I've ridden in bits and pieces, and the trail continues on from Evart at least another 30 or so. There are so many miles of rail-trails in Michigan! And I want to ride them all!

Dad and I drove up to Standish to visit Uncle Louie, Aunt Gin, and family. We had lunch as usual at Wheeler's, which has been in business for over 75 years, then out to the farm for a visit. I got to see Aunt Gin's sisters, who I hadn't seen in many, many years. And to watch great-granchild Charlotte burn seemingly endless energy.

 Then back to Chippewa Pins for lots of minor chores, lots of cooking, and several walks in the woods.
Evart Station along the Pere Marquette trail

The Hagley family at Wheeler's restaurant, which has been in business since 1937.

Fall color along the Pere Marquette

More fall color along the trail. I love the sumac!

Just one of many astounding maples along the trail

More trail


No comments: