Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fall Color, Big Dogs, Running Out of Time...

Although it's another perfect fall day, I've spent this morning cooking and this afternoon shopping. Housework must be done, but tomorrow will find me canoeing with cousin Deb; and Tuesday, if the rain will only hold off, bicycling a part of the Pere Marquette trail I've not done before.  I've only got 9 days left here, and still have several people to visit and chores do to around my dad's house. I guess I should've planned to stay a full month instead of 3 weeks. The oak trees haven't even started to drop their leaves yet and I was really looking forward to seeing my favorite tree shed it's mountain of big leaves.

Yesterday I drove up to Cadillac to meet with my high-school friend Pat, and she and her family proceeded to take me on a wonderful drive through many back roads to see the fall color. Pat's oldest son, Heath, was a superb tour guide and knows all the great spots. I tried to convince him that he should be our SAG driver on a bike tour in the future, but sadly he just did not seem interested in driving a car while I'm out having fun!
Hope and Hero, big dogs! They are still just puppies, too.
Aren't they beautiful??
 All of the fall color pictures were taken at the "High Rollway" near Mesick, Michigan. This is one of the many places that the lumbermen rolled nearly all of Michigans white pines down to the river to float away to the mill downstream. Very nearly all of the white pines in the state were cut down in the 1800's and early 1900's. One of the few places where there is still an old-growth white pine forest is Hartwick Pines State Park.
Autumn color



That's the Manistee River as viewed from the High Rollway



Pat and Will

Pat and Will with their church in the background
 Pat and Will built this church, the Cadillac Revival Center, and Will is the pastor.
One of the many beautiful backroads that Heath took us on
 I am now convinced I need to get a mountain bike so that I can ride some of these beautiful dirt-and-sand back roads.

No comments: