Monday, October 7, 2013

Back in Michigan

Here I am at my dad’s house, dragged up on top of Bullshit Mountain (aka Fox News), trying to ignore it but it’s difficult as it’s on nearly every waking hour. And worrying that the $(*%&)#@(&$ in congress are going to actually let us default on our debts and send us back into even a worse recession, and now that I am actually living off of my savings that would hurt. Should I sell off a  bunch of stocks and hide the cash under my mattress?

My trip here was long but everything was right on time, the usual car-boat-train-train-plane-plane-car. I had just a half hour layover between planes, and by the time I had walked to the other gate they were starting to board.

Instead of driving from Detroit directly to Midland, I made a detour over to Grand Rapids for a day. There’s a 3-week-long art festival called Art Prize, just coming to a close this weekend. More than 100 different venues, and 1500 different artists. Sculpture, painting, quilts, outdoor installations, at least one botanical installation, a marvelously decorated VW bug, a fire-breathing dragon, so many people that it’s hard to get pictures of anything, and every school child in the area on a field trip. It was all quite wonderful and I hope to make this an annual excursion. Check out http://www.artprize.org/ for more information.

Adding to the pleasure, I met up with one of my high school friends to enjoy it all. We finally limped back to our cars about 5pm and drove off to our separate destinations. I’m glad I made the drive before it was totally dark, as the fall colors are starting  to come out nicely.

Here are some pictures from Art Prize:
I want one of these!

"Tired Panda":made out of bike tires.


The Poacher

This quilt won first prize

Close-up of the first-prize quilt


Geo Space Firefly. Check out http://www.geospacestudio.com/firefly.html

Amazingly detailed cat painting


The Bootlegger

Look closely: This is made out of flatware.




No comments: