Friday, June 27, 2014

SO Glad to be HOME!

My flight was about 45 minutes late getting in last night, highly unusual for Southwest, and I was afraid I'd miss my connection to the Whidbey-Seatac shuttle, as that would give me only about 30 minutes to collect my bags and get to the shuttle. But as usual, my bags came down the chute within about five minutes of my arrival at the baggage claim and I got there with time to spare. Another reason I try to always fly Southwest.

Bright and early (well, 9-ish anyway) this morning Gerry and I were in the car heading back to Seatac to pick up Tom from the Seattle Airpet Hotel. This place turns out to be a tiny, fairly shabby looking, very smelly little place tucked into the side of an industrial-looking building just down the road from the airport. Probably not a place I would choose to board my pet, but the guy (the only apparent employee) was very friendly and said he had much enjoyed petting and playing with Tom.

I am so glad Gerry wanted to ride down with me, as that enabled us to use the carpool lane and bypass the perpetually backed-up traffic through downtown, and we made the whole round trip, door-to-door, in about 3 1/2 hours, including ferry and a stop at the store to get cat food and litter. When we got back to the ferry, some tourist bozo coming from the other direction had the nerve to do a u-turn and cut into the line just a couple of cars in front of us, not just impolite but illegal. We were the very last vehicle onto the ferry, and that only because somebody must've ratted the guy out, as the ferry-worker stopped him and let us go ahead of him. (Hmmm, why do I assume it was a "him"?)

Tom has spent several hours exploring every possible nook and cranny of the house, proved that he knew how to use the litterbox, made amazing leaps into the air in pursuit of his new cat toy, climbed up and down his new cat tree a few times, laid down for about five minutes, and now is back playing with his toys again. I hope he wears himself out before bedtime.

Summer has arrived: The tomato plants I set out just before I left are blooming, and one of them is almost 5 feet tall, I kid you not. Chard is ready to be harvested, arugula has already bolted, irritating horsetail has once again covered my hillside, lobelia is in full bloom (and the deer haven't eaten it!), yard will need to be weed-whacked before I can even use the mower on it.

It's so, so good to be home!

No comments: