Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Thousand Dollar Cat

OK, Thomas Evelyn Cat has been neutered, brought up-to-date on shots, micro-chipped, wormed, and given a clean bill of health. He is scheduled to be shipped via Delta air cargo next Monday, weather permitting,  to the Seattle Airpet Hotel. I fly out on Thursday, and will pick him up on Friday, after I go out and buy all the cat stuff that I got rid of a couple of months ago when I thought I would not have any more pets for the foreseeable future. That plus the vet bills, shipping, and boarding will make him pretty close to a thousand dollar cat. I keep repeating to myself, it's only money. It's only money.

And as long as I'm spending it, I bit the bullet and ordered my dad a new seat for his wheelchair. Not much luck trying to find a place to reupholster the existing one and get it back to him the same day. Too late for a father's day present, but he's got a birthday coming up in July.

Yesterday I took the 3 hour cruise down the river. I had left my kayak outside leaned up agains the garage, and when I turned it over, about a half dozen large garden spiders, those nasty big black and yellow things about 2 inches across, went running under the seat and into it's various hidden places. Ugh, it still makes me shiver to think about it. I blasted it with the hose and stomped on whatever came out. Then when I was about to load it onto the car, here came yet another one creeping out.  Right, this is the thing I'm going to lower myself defenselessly down into, to where I can barely move, and not see what's crawling on me? Gulp. Well, I did, and amazingly I guess I either got all of them, or they stayed well hidden.

And yesterday was a truly perfect day for a float down the river. 82, sunshine, no wind. Bathing suit weather, and I have the sunburnt shoulders to prove it. Followed by nap-in-the-hammock weather.

It seems to be full-on summer here now, clammy muggy hot, and I am longing to be back in the temperate northwest, where Leslie says it might get into the 70's this weekend.....

No comments: