Sunday, August 2, 2009

Just kickin' around the the island

Had a pleasant 35-mile ride back from Coupeville yesterday, after a couple of hours at the street fair. I guess I've become too jaded to enjoy the street fairs around here much; everything looks too familiar. The woman I bought a jacket from a few years ago, the painter that puts out the Whidbey calendars every year, the guy that paints stuff on copper, the musician that plays the wierd guitar-like thing called a "Chapman Stick", many people selling fused-glass jewelry. Don't get me wrong: they're all great, it's just that I've seen them all too many times and there seems to be nothing new.



Oh well, I had a nice visit with Gerry and bought a festival t-shirt, last year's, for half-price. We stopped at Miriam's for coffee, and then I headed back sout while Gerry went to visit relatives.



By the time I got to Greenbank I was hungry so stopped at Greenbank farm for an early dinner and a browse through the Rob Schouten gallery. This is an artist who's paintings I find quite fascinating. Many contain a sort of hidden mini-galaxy. Take a look

http://www.robschouten.net/open_edition.php



Today dawned bright and clear once again, so I decided to ride up to Freeland for my (sometimes) thrice-weekly visit to the gym. On the way home I detoured down to Sunlight Beach to scope out a possible kayak launch. I was really intending to go back with the kayak for sunset this evening, but just ran out of steam. Anyway, got in another 30 miles with about 1800 feet elevation gain.



Earlier this week I received my new Arkel front panniers (which so far I love!) and Adventure Cycling maps to get me from Fargo to Michigan next year. In June of 2010 I will be taking off from here and riding with Woman Tours as far as Fargo, and then self-contained (with possibly a friend or two) on to Michigan. Now that I have the maps..... How can I wait a whole 'nother year????

No comments: