Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ready to Roll!

Just finished packing for a 3-day bike trip, my first multi-day ride this year. Tomorrow morning I'll drive with 3 friends down to Olympia where we'll ride about 35 miles southeast, to Millersylvania state park, most of the way on the lovely off-road, paved, Chehalis Western trail. We plan to camp for two nights, explore the area on Thursday and then ride back on Friday. Hoping the weather stays nice for us.

Speaking of weather, I can't remember the last time it rained, and I also can't remember ever saying that in the Pacific Northwest in June ... or for that matter, in ANY month other than August.

Took a quick trip to the mainland today and noticed small jelly fish ( or sea jellies, as I think the more accurate term is) near the Mukilteo ferry dock. This may be common but I've never noticed them before. Part of the reason I've started this blog is that committing to write a little most days makes me more observant of what's around me.

The foxgloves are in glorious full bloom all around the island, including a few at the edge of my yard. My plant ID book says the "glove" part of foxglove is most likely a corruption of an old english word for "bell". Makes a lot more sense to me: I never could see how anyone would call those obvious "bells", "gloves".

Also I see that the ocean spray is beginning to bloom. This makes me a bit sad, as to me it signifies the end of spring, which means soon the lovely spring birdsong will stop, the days will start getting shorter, and..... you know where that leads! OK, let's not even think about it.

I let my TV die along with the demise of analog on June 12th. I will probably break down and buy a digital in the fall, but for now it's nice to have that monkey off my back. What an addiction it is! How long will I hold out?

No comments: