Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Pollen flurries

Several times today I've been fooled into thinking it was hailing... it's the pollen cones from douglas fir, coming down in flurries. There are enough of them on the ground now to scuffle through like fallen leaves, and small drifts of them along the road in some places.

After a hard day of forced labor around the house (got it about half-clean, anway...), the north wind cleared out the rain, and my ramblings took me to my local path through the woods. There are these huge, prehistoric-looking flowers just starting to bloom, which my field guide tells me have the inelegant name of "cow parsnip". These things are a good 6 to 8 feet tall, with leaves close to 2 feet across, and big carrot-like white flowers.

Blackberries suddenly in full bloom everywhere you look.

No comments: