Sunday, June 14, 2009

Another Day in Paradise


I am feeling so thankful for my life right now, I'm looking for a way to share that feeling. So this is a test....


We are having the most beautiful spring here on Whidbey Island! Perfect weather since Memorial Day, unusual for here. Thursday I did a 6-mile hike up at Ebey's Landing. This is, on a sunny day, possibly the most beautiful place on earth. Trail starts out along a hill overlooking a prairie valley of verdant farm fields. Then continues along a steep, high bluff above the ocean. This time of year the bluff is covered with wildflowers.After following along the bluff for a mile or so, the trail dips down to the beach, and then you walk back a couple of miles along the beach.


Yesterday, still in perfect weather, I did a barefoot walk along the beach near my home, and saw: a half-dozen bald eagles. Many herons. An osprey carrying a fish back to his nest high on the bluff above. An otter pulling mussels off of a rock in the tide flats.


Today it was overcast for most of the day so I went to the woods instead, a 2-mile hike through the old-growth forest at South Whidbey State Park. Lovely song of the Swainsons' Thrush echoing through the trees, ripe salmonberries for the picking.


Actually I spent most of the morning searching the web trying to figure out what the bird is that's been singing this loud, clear, musical song near my house for weeks. I have yet to be able to spot the bird, and no luck in finding a match for the song on the web.

No comments: