Monday, February 9, 2015

Wild Rose Canyon and Mesquite Dunes

It's my last day here already! The day after I got here, I thought oh no, 5 days is way too long, and I'm never coming back here again. Now I'm wanting to come back, with camping gear. This is mostly because of the drive I took yesterday up to Wild Rose campground. This is about 20 miles off the main road, up at 4100 feet. The drive there is just beautiful, and fun, with lots of hairpin curves and hills. And there are trees! And water! I can only imagine what the stars must look like there at night. There's a trail up to Wild Rose peak, which is supposed to have great vistas, but it's an 8 mile round trip and I only had time to do about the first mile. I've been unable to get myself going before noon, which is limiting since it gets dark about 5:30.
from the trail to wild rose peak
charcoal kilns at wild rose
I love the charcoal kilns. They're beautiful works of art and look like they belong in the landscape.They were built in 1877 and only in use for about 3 years, to supply fuel to a silver mine 30 miles away.
The drive to wild rose

On the way back I stopped for a sunset hike at the Mesquite dunes.

mesquite dunes
The mountains light up at sunset

I am so grateful to a Japanese gentleman I met my first day here. He had found an abandoned hiking stick and gave it to me. It has been very useful navigating the rocky trails here. I would definitely bring one with me next time!

I am getting a little tired of eating at the 49er cafe, the one and only dinner choice here. Well, there is an expensive fancy restaurant too, but I'm not in the mood for that, as the 49er is expensive enough, at least $15 for most entrees. And there's only about 8 choices of entree. Last night I had a green salad and a cup of soup, for $23. The previous night I'd ordered a small green salad ($7) to go with my pasta. Last night I just wanted a large green salad for my entree ($14) but when it came, it was exactly the same size as the small salad I'd gotten the night before. I complained, so they brought me an extra plate piled with greens.

 

No comments: