Monday, February 16, 2015

Brrrrr!

It was hovering right around the freezing mark when I got to Michigan last Wednesday, but hasn't been above 12 since then. Nights are dipping well below zero and with wind chill most days it's been too cold for any sane person to be outside more than a few minutes. Still, there have been snowmobiles running up and down the frozen river. Those guys must have heated suits or something.

Still, the snow is beautiful and it's been sunny for most of the week. I went for a short walk on the river today in the sun and it felt great. There's a good 6-8 inches of snow on the ground, too much to make it much fun walking in the woods, but the snowmobile tracks on the river make a decent place to walk.

The dang battery in Dad's car has died yet again. Maybe it's just from the cold. Or, more likely, the rats have moved back in, trying to keep warm. Glad he's got my trusty old Subaru as backup.

We had a nice visit yesterday from cousin Randy, who I hadn't seen in a few years. If you ever see Wysong pet products, that's his company.

Also a visit from a guy that dad met, I think, through something having to do with his propane. Now this guy comes out and plows Dad's driveway (which is nearly 1/4 mile long) and won't take any payment. Plus brings him fresh eggs. I've probably commented on this before, but this seems to be a common thing here: it seems that everyone who does any business for my dad ends up befriending him and then stopping in to check on him. I just don't see that happening out where I live. This time Dan, the plower, brought wife and kids to visit too.

Chores accomplished for Dad this week: Stocked up on groceries, pet food and pet meds; cooked three big batches of soup for the freezer; mopped and vacuumed; cleaned the bathrooms, fridge and kitchen; shovelled a path to the garage; re-ordered prescriptions. I won't be back until June. I hope he'll be OK. I do worry about him.

1 comment:

D. Bradford Hunt said...

Hi Vickie,

I would like to use one of your images in a publication. Could you please contact me at dbhunt@roosevelt.edu?

Thank you,
Brad Hunt
Dean, Evelyn T. Stone College of Professional Studies, Roosevelt University, 312-281-3145